Dev Diaries

News and stories from a dev's life

  • Gesture input in Infestation

    Tags: infestation, gestures, design

    One of the things I was most excited about getting into Windows Phone 7 was the opportunities that touch input provides. In my upcoming game, Infestation, I've made making full use of single and multi-touch input a core part of the game's mechanics. These features can be divided into two different categories - special moves and map navigation.


  • Back - Again!

    Tags: azure, general

    Sorry for the outages this weekend - I recently enrolled in Microsoft's BizSpark program, and took advantage of the MSDN Premium Azure subscription. Unfortunately, there were some issues getting my old subscription migrated to the new one, but here we are! Hopefully this week I'll be able to post more information about Infestation, as well as get more done on it! 

    I'm currently overhauling the wave management logic to give me more flexibility in how/when creatures spawn. Additionally, it will allow me to statically pre-compute some pathing routes, which will help performance greatly. Maybe I'll put together a post describing it for posterity.

  • Infestation is progressing nicely

    Tags: infestation, news

    Yesterday I put in a solid day of work on Infestation, and I was able to get a lot done. In addition to getting the build overlay interface cleaned up quite a bit, I integrated some new artwork and added the Cockroach bug:


  • It's On

    Tags: orchard, infestation, business, azure

    Welcome to my website! I'm going to be posting more in coming days as I put together more content for Infestation. It's always interesting how much time is spent running a business that doesn't have anything to do whatsoever with actually building a game. I decided to host this site in the Azure cloud, using Orchard as the main app. I chose Orchard because it had been refactored and tested for Azure, and I liked the powerful simplicity of the features it offered. Azure can be a bit tricky at times, as it took me a while to realize that while I'd set up the subscription a few months earlier, I hadn't yet gotten all of the correct certificates installed. In addition, I had a re-tread afternoon when I had to add the RDP settings into the service def and config files.